Welcome to Empirical Purple

A blog by Simon Brady to cover a surprisingly wide range of geekiness, in a combination that no-one else does quite the same way. Probably. Either that, or it'll just be Simon talking about the likes of Football (usually the Soccer variety), PC & Tabletop Gaming, WWE, Movies, Music and occasionally even my actual job of Graphic Design, depending on what I'm up to in the world.



Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Winter is Coming Back

So I'm going to do it to myself again.

A Game of Thrones.
A Clash of Kings.
A Storm of Swords.
A Feast for Crows.

It's perhaps the best Fantasy series ever, and I'm going to re-read it. Again.

I first stumbled upon it in 1996 in a mobile library that visited my tiny village that was, and still is, barely more than a hamlet. It instantly hooked me, and ever since then I've been waiting eagerly for my next fix. It was probably the lovely red tones of the cover (pictured) that did it, centred with a lance-armed knight who actually looked like a knight, in full armour. The Robert Jordan quote has been credited with kick-starting a lot of readers' interest in the book itself, and I have to say it wasn't a negative point for me, either.

Cut to fourteen years later and the series currently stands at four-and-a-half awesome, incredible, door-propping books. Seriously, these things are now so large, it's like they make other commonly-used large things look small by comparison. BOOM! Take that, simile, in yo' face!

So that's what I'll be putting on my bedside cabinet tonight. Plus, if I take my time, news of the fifth book might be forthcoming by the time I've finished all four, then it'll be time to re-read them again, to try and finish a Feast for Crows the night before my copy of A Dance with Dragons is ready and waiting for me. Until then the tales of Jon Snow, Dany, Arya, Ned, Robb, Jaime and Cersei will be swimming around in my head once more.

The first step to overcoming an addiction is acknowledging it, and I think this blog entry qualifies. So, one more time, grab the book, open it to the Prologue, and say it with me:

"We should start back," Gared urged...

1 comment:

  1. Orkland Raiders3 August 2010 at 11:59

    Jon Snow (born 28 September 1947) is an English journalist and presenter, currently employed by ITN. He is best known for presenting Channel 4 News.

    He is known for his vast collection of colourful ties and socks.

    ReplyDelete