Welcome to Empirical Purple

A blog by Simon Brady to cover a surprisingly wide range of geekiness, in a combination that no-one else does quite the same way. Probably. Either that, or it'll just be Simon talking about the likes of Football (usually the Soccer variety), PC & Tabletop Gaming, WWE, Movies, Music and occasionally even my actual job of Graphic Design, depending on what I'm up to in the world.



Saturday, September 25, 2010

Take Me On Your Mighty Wings

I loved the original StarCraft. And whichever of the WarCrafts that it was I first played - 2, I think. Their similarities with Warhammer and 40k are obvious, especially considering that Blizzard were originally developing a game for GW when it all went horribly wrong and they had to come up with their own IP.

StarCraft and Brood War still sit on my shelf, amongst all the other PC games that I've kept to play one day when I need that nostalgia fix. So, when StarCraft 2 was announced, I was looking forward to it. I wasn't looking forward to the £45 I'd have to hand over in order to play it, of course, but some things can't be helped.

Or, in fact, they can be helped, thanks to one of those free 7-hours of play key codes, thanks to Adam.

So far, all I can say is that it's a very good game. Easy to get into an get to grips with, along with lots of fleshed-out characters, great cutscenes and story development (at least as far as I've got in my 7 hours...) and that classic bit of Blizzard humour thrown in.

Still, it's a steep price to pay. Have I not given you enough money over the years for your games, Blizzard, starting with Rock n Roll Racing, through Starcraft, up to World of Warcraft and now you're asking me to shell out another £45 on your latest game? Why have you forsaken me? Won't somebody think of the children?

By 'somebody', I mean Blizzard, and by 'children', I mean my wallet, of course.


StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty is a good game, it's a very good game. I'm not sure, as someone who doesn't bother with the online facet of multiplayer strategy games, that it's worth 45 of my pounds sterling, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment