Welcome to Empirical Purple

A blog by Simon Brady to cover a surprisingly wide range of geekiness, in a combination that no-one else does quite the same way. Probably. Either that, or it'll just be Simon talking about the likes of Football (usually the Soccer variety), PC & Tabletop Gaming, WWE, Movies, Music and occasionally even my actual job of Graphic Design, depending on what I'm up to in the world.



Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Hardhead is Not Proud of Me

Let's start with a list. From City of Heroes, a Super Strength & Invulnerability Tanker. From Warhammer Online, a High Elf Swordmaster. In World of Warcraft, a Protection Warrior.

Simply put, they're all tanks. My characters walk up to the enemy, slap them in the face, and dare them to hit me. Hit me, instead of the healer cowering in the corner, or the DPS machine, stealthed right behind them, about to make them a head shorter.

There's only one problem - in World of Warcraft, I'm not very good at it. After having this character for upwards of three years or so, Fyreskar the 74 Human Warrior is not a great tank. His gear isn't great, nor is my technique, talent set, or even skills that I use.

At best, he's an Off-Tank, taking the second-biggest threat in the room just because he's naturally quite tough. Warriors have changed quite a lot over the years, too, so any iota of knowledge I had originally is now fairly useless anyway.

So, in keeping with my challenge to put a blog post up every day, my challenge with Fyreskar is to learn how to tank properly, making him the best Protection Warrior he can be. As he makes his way up those ever-lengthening levels to the first target of Level 80.

Level 80 is when the Argent Tournament comes into play, and Northrend should be completed (or, at least, pretty much done with). 80-85 is the goal after that, exploring all the Cataclysm content, but that's a long way off right now. Thankfully, he should be in a guild where that sort of progression is at least doable, rather than blindly stumbling about on my own until I get to the Group and Dungeon missions, which I then have to grumble as I pass on any chance of getting cool stuff, extra XP, and generally finishing quest chains.

My Death Knight and Paladin also have their targets, but I'll save those for another time.

For confusion with the title: Hardhead, of course, is my favourite Autobot Tank from the old Transformers (specifically, Headmasters) series.

No comments:

Post a Comment