Welcome to Empirical Purple

A blog by Simon Brady to cover a surprisingly wide range of geekiness, in a combination that no-one else does quite the same way. Probably. Either that, or it'll just be Simon talking about the likes of Football (usually the Soccer variety), PC & Tabletop Gaming, WWE, Movies, Music and occasionally even my actual job of Graphic Design, depending on what I'm up to in the world.



Friday, February 11, 2011

Too many Twits makes a Twat

So here's the deal. Twitter is for self-important, shamesless self-promoters who think that whatever they've got to say at any particular moment is worth sharing. It's for new media and sports types, as well as lazy journalists who have got nothing better to do and treat the 140 character long tweets as if they're as sacrosanct as press releases.

So, in short, it's totally my sort of thing, and I've only been avoiding it out of some Luddite anti-trendy ideology. I can already see how easy it would be to overload on how often you tweet, how many random people and celebrities, sports people and journalists you follow.

I figure if it's good enough for the likes of Main Guy, it's good enough for me. It was Transfer Deadline Day in the Premiership that finally brought it home to me how this Twitter thing really works, and how awesome it could be. as news was broken on Twitter five or ten minutes before it made it onto, say, the BBC's Live Text service.

The scope for two-way communication, too - Jason Manford excepting - is immense, whoever it is between.  But, for now, it'll just be me putting up random things for my own amusement. By linking it to Facebook, it gives me another way of getting information out there, to whoever happens to be listening.

It'll allow, for instance, live Tweeting of the NAF Championship in May. Oh wouldn't that be awesome? In between my bit of promo and recording work for Zlurpcast, of course!

No comments:

Post a Comment