Welcome to Empirical Purple

A blog by Simon Brady to cover a surprisingly wide range of geekiness, in a combination that no-one else does quite the same way. Probably. Either that, or it'll just be Simon talking about the likes of Football (usually the Soccer variety), PC & Tabletop Gaming, WWE, Movies, Music and occasionally even my actual job of Graphic Design, depending on what I'm up to in the world.



Tuesday, December 06, 2011

You Know It's Christmas When...

For most people it's the Coca-Cola advert. Holidays are coming, and all that. It's interesting how even in our modern widescreen, HD lives, the same-old Coke advert with the trucks comes along in 4:3, as it always used to be. Instead of re-shooting it, or cropping the top and bottom off, they've put it up in all it's original glory.

Facebook was alive with the likes of 'Holidays are coming!', 'It's the Coke trucks!' and 'OMG Coke Xmas Ad!', illustrating its power and importance as a cultural touchstone.

For other people, it's the first time they hear Mariah Carey's "All I want for Christmas is You" on the radio, the time when they put their decorations up, open their first advent calendar window, or the moment they think "Shit, I've got all the Christmas shopping to do!"

For my Christmas touchstone, however, I have to blame Simon Mayo for playing it on the radio when I was young and impressionable. It's just not Christmas until I hear this.


Now it's Christmas. And you're welcome.

1 comment:

  1. It's not Christmas untill Noddy Holder says so. Fact.

    ReplyDelete