Welcome to Empirical Purple

A blog by Simon Brady to cover a surprisingly wide range of geekiness, in a combination that no-one else does quite the same way. Probably. Either that, or it'll just be Simon talking about the likes of Football (usually the Soccer variety), PC & Tabletop Gaming, WWE, Movies, Music and occasionally even my actual job of Graphic Design, depending on what I'm up to in the world.



Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Some Assembly Required

Avengers, Avengers, Avengers.

No, not classic British John Steed and Emma Peel, but the likes of Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Hawkeye and the rest.

Whether it's in comic books (Avengers Vs X-Men and Avengers Assemble), in the new Avengers movie or playing the Marvel: Avengers Alliance Facebook game to death, I'm feeling throughly Avenged. So much so that I'll try not to mention the word again.


'Marvel's premier superhero team that isn't the X-Men or Fantastic Four' (I must find a shorter description than that from now own) has contained pretty much every Marvel superhero that has ever existed within its ranks at some point. Just like DC's Justice League, it's a place to dump a good (or sometimes bad) character to add into the mix and shake things up a little.

Its appearance is in concert with my general upsurge of interest in comics, with DC's New 52 (are they still new after more than 6 months and 8 issues each?) grabbing my attention with their rebooted universes and starting storylines. Though Marvel have tried the same thing by re-numbering and slightly re-tuning the Uncanny X-Men (among other titles, but that's the only one I actively collect and am bothered about), DC's product has shot ahead in my reading stakes.

My current pull list is Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, Batgirl, Catwoman, Avengers Assemble, Uncanny X-Men, Green Lantern: New Guardians, Avengers Vs X-Men, Red Hood and the Outlaws and finally Justice League. That's quite a lot of comics to read my way through, but it's definitely a good read. Great and varied artwork, great characters and some great storylines so far.

One thing I did notice, though, was that barring Green Lantern, all of my favourites have at least one superb, gorgeous, strong female character in them. Be it Wonder Woman, Catwoman, Ms Marvel, Psylocke or Starfire (or the illustrative She Hulk, of course), there's always some eye candy for me in the comics I read.

Note that the eye candy is usually outweighed by scores of muscular men wearing spandex and leather, not quite my style.

No comments:

Post a Comment