Welcome to Empirical Purple

A blog by Simon Brady to cover a surprisingly wide range of geekiness, in a combination that no-one else does quite the same way. Probably. Either that, or it'll just be Simon talking about the likes of Football (usually the Soccer variety), PC & Tabletop Gaming, WWE, Movies, Music and occasionally even my actual job of Graphic Design, depending on what I'm up to in the world.



Thursday, May 03, 2012

Did Cthulhu just pop your cherry?

Why yes, he did. My pen-and-paper roleplaying cherry, at least.

Last night I was down in Warwick at The Gaming Club for the first time to try some Call of Cthulhu, 1920s investigative style.

I'm not new to the idea of roleplaying itself, thanks to the various tabletop and computer games, MMORPGs, NationStates and similar that I've played over the years. Actually sitting down in a group with rolled characters and a DM guiding things was brand new to me.


The investigative group consisted of a writer, an Indiana Jones-type adventurer and an Amelia Earhart-esque character. What did they not have a lot of? Muscle. So that's where I decided to come in. Channelling Hardhead once more I rolled up a grizzled army veteran: Sergeant Neville Maitland-Jones. Hobbies included shouting and blowing things up, along with a fairly high skills in strength, weapons and combat, but little else. Seconded from the British Army to this investigation team for his more unorthodox investigation skills (primarily shouting and blowing things up, I expect). At the same time another player new to this game, Mark, rolled himself a Doctor Samuel Forrester as there's nothing quite like having an intelligent M.D. around.

DMing this game was Sean, evidently a true master of his craft. When deciding if the taxi Neville was in had a driver good enough to keep up with a speeding vehicle in a car chase, did we roll dice? Not at all, it was time to pull certain key blocks out of a Jenga tower as quickly as possible (to critical success, might I add). Could we see the license plate of the car? Only if you could actually spot it written on a piece of paper Sean held up as he ran away down the length of the room. For all the gimmicks though, if you did something ludicrously stupid in Sean's game, he'd punish you, making every decision a crucial one.

So when Neville decided to follow two men out of a high society party without telling any of his group, getting smacked over the head with a crowbar and knocked out in a single blow was almost inevitable. In reality, it only became inevitable when I rolled a critical fail on a D12 for the third time in half a dozen rolls. Thankfully, however, when Neville had come to I subsequently managed to talk my way out of it with some real-life blagging skills that actually seemed to impress our DM.

Everyone had the spotlight on them for their moment to shine (or in fact fail miserably, as I managed twice) throughout the game, as the main points were forgotten for tangents and side-quests and distractions aplenty. Apparently this game had been running for three session already and the first basic 'quest' (of many) was not even in sight!

I really enjoyed my evening of tension, drama, investigation and comedy, so will definitely be going back to the fortnightly sessions to continue the adventures of Sgt. Neville Maitland-Jones.

No comments:

Post a Comment