Welcome to Empirical Purple

A blog by Simon Brady to cover a surprisingly wide range of geekiness, in a combination that no-one else does quite the same way. Probably. Either that, or it'll just be Simon talking about the likes of Football (usually the Soccer variety), PC & Tabletop Gaming, WWE, Movies, Music and occasionally even my actual job of Graphic Design, depending on what I'm up to in the world.



Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Drawing Education

My version of American Dream.
Not in the 'How to Draw' book (obviously)
This evening I've spent my time scanning in pictures in an attempt to put something together to teach school-age children how to draw.

This isn't because I'm an awesome artist, or excellent teacher, but because I'm a graphic designer. Sure, I used to teach Photoshop to interested adults who wanted to go on and be professional Digital Photographers of one form or another, but these are just kids. Kids who are doing the same sort of thing I used to, which is sit around in GCSE Art lessons and try to make their drawings better.

I love drawing, I always have. Right from primary school it was my favourite thing to do. I tried to get it into every other subject too, whether it was History, English, Geography or whatever. It's why I took Art and GSCE and A Level, and it combined with my love of computers to take me into the digital art domain, first through 3D animation and then into graphic design.


This particular design will be a teaching aid on different styles and techniques that can be employed, all fitting within the branding of the school. I'm really excited about it, because I think it can end up being ace.

Plus it helps give me some inspiration to do my Arthouse Co-op Sketchbook. Remember that? I haven't even made a single pencil stroke in it yet. I've got a lot of it planned out, just haven't got around to it yet. Being as it has to be posted off by the middle of January... well let's just say I should get cracking on that one.

Along with everything else I'd like to do, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment