Welcome to Empirical Purple

A blog by Simon Brady to cover a surprisingly wide range of geekiness, in a combination that no-one else does quite the same way. Probably. Either that, or it'll just be Simon talking about the likes of Football (usually the Soccer variety), PC & Tabletop Gaming, WWE, Movies, Music and occasionally even my actual job of Graphic Design, depending on what I'm up to in the world.



Thursday, August 15, 2013

Only Once a Hipster

I'm not sure I've ever been on board with something that has subsequently turned into a bandwagon. Not once have I been into something before it was coo, never been in the skinny trousers and flat lens glasses of a hipster.

Except for Game of Thrones.

'How do you know a Game of Thrones fan who read the books first?' goes the meme, 'oh, don't worry, they'll tell you. They'll fucking tell you.'

And it's true, especially in my case. In 1997, having come out a year earlier, A Game of Thrones, Book One in the Song of Ice and Fire Series was my favourite book after having read it incessantly from my local mobile library. By 1998 it was my favourite book series. Nothing has changed since that century in that regard. But why?
Winter has been coming for sixteen years for me, not just since HBO released their first season. I was hunting book shops and getting pre-orders for A Storm of Swords in 2000 and reading my eyes out in a day or two in 2005 on A Feast for Crows before thinking 'Huh? That's it?'. I was the type of person who waited six years for the fifth book and got a signed hard-back copy delivered to my door.

I didn't get on board with the LCG ('Living Card Game') for a long time, in fact only doing so when I heard the TV show was about to come out. It had largely been a CCG ('Collectable Card Game', in the vein of Magic:The Gathering) up until that point, but getting on the LCG was jumping on that before it became a bandwagon as people who'd never picked up the books were shortly going to be introduced to Westeros.

I am not responsible for this show's success, nor that of the books. Buying five books in my life is not a way of having George R. R. Martin owe me something in regard to this series. I loved it more than fifteen years ago, and people's reactions to the Red Wedding in S0E09 were pretty much exactly the same as I had then, it's just that I was reading and they were watching.

So yes, I will shout from the rooftops that I read the books long before people only now seeing it on TV had even heard of it. A lover of the material before it was easily accessible on your TV, to download as PDF books, audiobooks, comics and pirated versions of the TV series itself. I was, for the first and only time in my life, a fan of something before it was cool.

I shout this because I know it will never, ever happen again.

1 comment:

  1. I understand the feeling and sentiment, I think, though I have had a few instances of liking things before it was cool to like them. I am glad that the TV series was made, even if I disagree with some of the differences and how it seems to be splitting the fan base over which material is better (and gosh it is annoying for tv only watchers to say this is how it should be). Its made a really intriguing story easily ready for millions of people who would have otherwise missed out. Anyways, that's enough for my own rambling, you'd think this was my own blog if I kept own! :P

    ReplyDelete