Welcome to Empirical Purple

A blog by Simon Brady to cover a surprisingly wide range of geekiness, in a combination that no-one else does quite the same way. Probably. Either that, or it'll just be Simon talking about the likes of Football (usually the Soccer variety), PC & Tabletop Gaming, WWE, Movies, Music and occasionally even my actual job of Graphic Design, depending on what I'm up to in the world.



Friday, June 06, 2014

Youtube Famous?

For the last couple of months I've been, basically, making gaming videos and farting about on Youtube.

I'm a fan of the likes of TotalBiscuit, Zero Punctuation, Jesse Cox, Jim Sterling, etc., but of course not everyone can actually make a living from making videos on the internet.

Having watch a lot of the non-professionals out there, I reckon I'm at least as entertaining as them (a very lofty claim), so figured I'd have a go myself.

To that end, youtube.com/user/Starblayde is now a thing! But what's it for?

It's mostly allowing me to play old computer games and have a mess about with social media. Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, Instagram and blogging can all come together, working in harmony towards a single goal. It also means I play with graphics, script writing, video editing, game research, public (sorta) speaking and, of course, gaming!

'Why?' remains a pertinent question, too. It's a fun thing to stick up on the internet, something not everyone can or will do. If it manages to take off in any sort of way and the views get into the thousands, then it might even be a nice little source of income on the side and turn imaginary internet moneys into actual real numbers in the bank account.

The ultimate shoot-for-the-moon goal, just for fun, is to be well known enough to get on the Co-Optional podcast as one of the guests of TB, Jesse and Dodger. That would be very cool if the videos I make could take me to that sort of level.

As far as my videos go, there's my Just One Continue series, where I play some games of the past and only get to use a single continue. Continues don't tend to come along in modern games, as they tend to give you infinite lives or checkpoints. In the old days, however, they took the lead from Arcade games and gave you a small number of lives and a number of score-resetting Continues if you ran out of those. Just One Continue may not be hardcore mode, but it makes lots of them difficult to finish if you're not brilliant at them.

I play a lot of Hearthstone in between times, as that's a fun and thankfully free card game set in the Warcraft universe. It's very simple to learn, but very hard to master.

There are also my Let's Play videos, where I play a game from start to finish over a number of episodes, ideally about 30 minutes long each. My playthrough of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past is nearly complete, with only 3 or 4 episodes remaining, so I've begun a new one just today of the 1993 DOS classic, Syndicate.


Obviously, if you're reading this and aren't a subscriber, I'd be very grateful if you could go along and have a watch of my videos. If you like them, do subscribe! Here's my most recent video, the beginnings Let's Play: Syndicate. I hope you enjoy it...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment